Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What a weekend!

Two weeks ago Justin and I hosted our second annual Potluck Thanksgiving. We welcomed 15 friends into our home and served a 19 pound turkey, potatoes, stuffing, cornbread, biscuits and the tasty treats our guests brought.


the beginning of the set-up

our prized bird

And what is a holiday feast without a clever, festive dessert?



Pilgrim hats

The recently-passed and oh-so-missed Thanksgiving break was g-l-o-r-i-o-u-s! Wednesday night I enjoyed a Thanksgiving break kickoff dinner with two of my best friends. I also reunited with an old friend from high school who makes you laugh without her even trying. It was so nice to see her again.

Thursday Justin and I happily Thanksgiving-hopped from Randolph down to Freetown. We brought Ellie with us to my parents' house but their dog Sandy was none too pleased to be sharing her territory (read: garden window) and her snowman squeaky toy with Ellie. Dinner was delicious, but more than that, I love spending time with my family. Its rare when we are all together, Nana included.

As nervous and anxious as I get when Black Friday comes around, I do feel as though I should take advantage of the sweet deals and that I did. By 6:30 am, I had purchased 800 thread count sheets, winter accessories, 2 winter coats, 2 cardigans and a pair of jeans from Old Navy at a steal. (It's a shame I stayed up and drove there for a 3 o'clock opening when in fact this particular store chose not to open until 5--unlike the rest of the national chain. :/ ) Alas, not only did I get the apparel I went for, I also landed a free Xbox video game for Justin's cousins' Christmas gift.

coat #1-- 50% off


coat #2-- 50% off

After 2 naps, I ventured to my parents' house and saw the sweet deals the two other Yoffe girls secured in their early morning spree. Their purchases led me to visit Target, after the mad dash and into the early evening, where I bought just a few more items. :)

Friday night was a much-needed girls night in with a homemade dinner, a delicious carrot cake, Glee, and The Proposal.

Saturday I had a wedding dress appointment. My mom, sisters, Nana and 2 bridesmaids came along and it was so much fun! I had a pretty good idea about the styles I liked and styles I did not prefer. One of the dresses that became one of the top two contenders had been one I had been looking at online for a few months and just happened to set aside to try on. (We shall refer to this gown as Charlotte.) =) Mom and I went back again Sunday to try Charlotte and her competition Betsy, on again. While Betsy was fancier and very ball gown-y, it was not me and while it was actually pricier than Charlotte, its fabric wasn't nearly as smooth and comfortable. Charlotte was the winner, and I love it. =)

Saturday night we ventured to the quiet mall for a stroll and to purchase a few more holiday gifts--on sale too!

In third grade news, my new student arrived on Monday and she's a doll. (She brings my class total to 20--a nice even number.) Today I stopped at Ocean State Job Lot to pick up a few items for a holiday drive at school for soldiers and veterans. While I found winter gloves and puzzle books to donate to the drive, I also excitedly came upon full-color, elementary-level biographies of Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and Tom Brady for my classroom library--for $1! I plan on going back later this week to buy a few for the school's library.

December is starting off on a high note! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment